This is a lovely weekend breakfast. Wild smoked salmon is a good source of omega-3 fat, as are free-range/pastured eggs. A poached egg is such a simple thing but it can be deceptively difficult to get it right. The secret lies in the timing: prepare everything else that you need and poach the egg(s) at the very last minute.
- 2 large free-range eggs (very fresh eggs work best)
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 100g smoked salmon (look for wild salmon if you can)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Snap the asparagus by gently bending the asparagus spear – it will snap at the natural tender/woody point. Line the spears up and trim with a knife to achieve a nice uniform size.
- The asparagus can be steamed or blanched in boiling water. Either way, it will only require 2-3 minutes cooking time for young asparagus, or a little longer – perhaps 4-6 minutes – for more mature spears. Cook the asparagus using your preferred method, drain, arrange the asparagus on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, have a deep saucepan full of boiling water at the ready. Add the white wine vinegar and reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Take a whisk or spoon and gently stir the pan of water to create a whirlpool-like vortex of water in the centre of the pan. Crack the egg into a small bowl or cup, and then pour it onto a large perforated metal spoon. Allow any watery white to drip away into the bowl or cup and then gently lower the egg into the swirling water. The swirling will cause the white of the egg to envelope itself, resulting in a nice neat ball-shaped poached egg.
- For a soft-centered egg, poach for 3 minutes before removing and draining on a clean tea towel. If you prefer your egg set, leave it in the water a little longer.
- To serve, top the warm asparagus with the smoked salmon and then the poached egg. Season with salt and pepper, and squeeze over a little fresh lemon juice.
Our Most Popular Blog Posts
- MCT Oil vs Coconut Oil for Brain Health
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Curcumin
- Elixa Probiotic – A New UK Manufactured, High-Strength Probiotic
- Ultimate Gut Health Guide
- The Paleo Autoimmune Protocol Diet
- Prebiotics – Fibre to Feed Your Healthy Gut Bacteria
- The End of Alzheimer’s – The Bredesen ReCODE Protocol
- Cod Liver Oil – An Ancient Superfood
Nutritional Therapy Packages
I offer one, two or three month Nutritional Therapy packages. The cost is £150 per month and includes 4 x face-to-face sessions per month as well as a custom meal plan with all recipes, shopping lists and a custom meal prep guide. Click here to learn more.
Live Smarter 1 Day Wellbeing Retreat
Join us to learn how to optimise your life for health & happiness! We will tailor our retreat days to suit your group.
Options include a style session, nutritional therapy consultations, cookery demos, make your own organic body care products, gut health class including an introduction to fermentation, group Pilates class, meditation session and a beautiful country walk or beginner’s foraging walk.
The day includes a gorgeous, organic, seasonal, gluten, grain and dairy-free lunch which includes freshly foraged ingredients (can be vegan if required) and of course drinks to celebrate at the end of the day!
You need to book as a group (a minimum of 6 people needed and a maximum of 12) so it’s perfect if you are a group of friends or work colleagues, this could even be an unique hen-do experience for the health conscious bride-to-be!
Cost £110 per person.
Our Premium Plans
Since we don’t believe in a “one size fits all” approach to diet, we have developed several programs, all based on real food, for people with different health goals.
Our signature program is our 30 Day Paleo Plan. We’ve been running this since 2014 and have guided over 700 people through their first 30 days on the paleo diet with huge success!
Restore Your Gut – 8 Week Transformation
In this 8 week program you’ll learn which foods to REMOVE to begin your gut healing journey, ultimate gut healing foods to REPAIR your damaged gut, which probiotics will REPLACE what’s missing and the best foods, prebiotics and antimicrobials to RESTORE intestinal balance.
You also get a mouth-watering, anti-inflammatory, gut healing Recipe Guide packed with recipes to keep you nourished, satisfied and toxin-free, plus lots more! Restore Your Gut is a comprehensive 8 Week Program delivering a life-altering gut health transformation.
Try our Seasonal Reboots
A 14 Day Whole Foods Reboot for every season to Help You Feel Better, Have More Energy, Reset Taste Buds and Lose Weight (Without Giving Up Real Food!)
SPRING: This program is suitable for anyone who wants to give paleo a try, but the program is also low-FODMAP (so great if you are suffering from IBS or other digestive issues), gluten-free, dairy-free and free from refined carbohydrates. It’s a low carb plan with the recipes being nutrient-dense, easy and delicious! Click here to find out more.
SUMMER: Gorgeous, seasonal recipes using the best of Summer’s produce, think tomatoes, courgettes, fresh peas, strawberries, raspberries and lots more!
This plan is also 14 days in length and includes the same resources as all our seasonal reboots: ebook guide, meal plan, recipes, shopping lists, prep guide, food & symptom diary and email support. Click here to find out more.
Join our Membership Site: Real Food 365
We all know how easy it is to start out the year with good intentions in January, but then for your healthy eating habits to slip as the year goes on.
That’s why I started Real Food 365 – my aim is to help you eat healthily by providing real food inspiration all year round.
For the low monthly cost of £3.99 you get 365 days of Real Food recipes plus access to our 30 Day Paleo Plan and lots, lots more!
Looking for a complete Life Makeover?
Check out our Live Smarter Course – an 8 week online course that will help you optimise all areas of your life. Week-by-week we tackle food, mindset, sleep, stress, gut health and more!
Custom Meal Plans
You tell me your health goals, your likes and dislikes and how much time you have available and I will create you a custom meal plan perfectly tailored to fit with your lifestyle and help you achieve your goals. All custom meal plans include recipes, shopping lists and a weekly prep guide to make it easy for you to stick to the plan. Click here to learn more.
I’m a nutritional therapist, author, blogger, teacher and mum. I studied at Oxford University from 1999-2003 and have an MSc in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. During my degree I became fascinated in the workings of the human body at a cellular level – how what we eat effects the genes and proteins in our body, how the immune system works and how cancer develops. I’m interested in the science of nutrition. I apply my scientific training when I read information about nutrition and I never believe something I read unless I can see evidence to back it up.
I’ve always had a passion for nutrition science, I’ve been writing about nutrition and health for several years and I qualified as a Nutritional Therapist in 2017. I’m also a Holistic Health & Lifestyle Coach and Mindfulness Teacher.
I currently live near Tunbridge Wells with my husband, 3 beautiful children and a gorgeous whippet called Millie! When I’m not working I love foraging, reading, Pilates, cooking, making herbal medicine and going for long walks with my family and my dog.
At the core of my work is a simple question: how can we live better, healthier & happier lives? I hope you’ll join me on a quest to discover the answers.
Paleo Britain is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk. Buying through our affiliate links does not cost you anything but helps us keep this website up and running. Thank you!
All information provided within this blog post is for informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as medical advice or instruction. Please consult your GP or a qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health and wellbeing or on any opinions expressed within this blog post. The information provided in this blog post is believed to be accurate based on the best judgment of the author. However, you as the reader must be responsible for consulting with your own GP or other health professional on matters raised within. Paleo Britain will not accept responsibility for the actions or consequential results of any action taken by any reader.
The material in this blog post may include information, products or services by third parties. Third Party Materials comprise of the products and opinions expressed by their owners. As such, Paleo Britain does not assume responsibility or liability for any Third Party material or opinions. The publication of such Third Party Materials does not constitute our guarantee of any information, instruction, opinion, products or services contained within the Third Party Material. Publication of such Third Party Material is simply a recommendation and an expression of our own opinion of that material.